Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading technology services and consulting company, announced financial results under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) for the quarter that ended December 31, 2022.
Highlights of the Results
Results for the Quarter ended December 31, 2022:
- Gross Revenue reached ₹232.3 billion ($2.8 billion1), an increase of 3.1% QoQ and 14.4% YoY
- IT Services Segment Revenue increased to $2,803.5 million, an improvement of 6.2% YoY
- Non-GAAP2 constant currency IT Services segment revenue was up by 0.6% QoQ and 10.4% YoY
- IT Services Operating Margin3 for the quarter was at 16.3%, an increase of 120bps QoQ
- Total Bookings4 up by 26% and large deal bookings5 up by 69% YoY
- Net Income for the quarter was at ₹30.5 billion ($369.1 million1), a growth of 14.8% QoQ and 2.8% YoY
- Earnings Per Share for the quarter was at ₹5.57 ($0.071), an increase of 14.6% QoQ and 2.6% YoY
- Operating Cash Flows at 142.5% of Net Income for the quarter was at ₹43.5 billion ($526.0 million1), an increase of 44.7% YoY
- Voluntary attrition6 moderated 180 bps from previous quarter, landing at 21.2% for the trailing twelve months for the quarter
- Top 5 clients grew 15.7% YoY and top 10 clients grew 14.7% YoY in constant currency terms, underscoring deepening relationships with top strategic clients
- Wipro declared an interim dividend of ₹1 ($0.0121) per equity share/ADS
Performance for the Quarter ended December 31, 2022
Thierry Delaporte, CEO and Managing Director, said, “I am pleased to report that we have delivered another quarter of double-digit revenue growth. Our Total Bookings were over $4.3 billion, led by solid large deal signings of over $1 billion. We improved our margins by 120 basis points and our attrition moderated for the fourth quarter in a row.
We are continuing to gain market share as a result of deepening client relationships and higher win rates. Clients are turning to us to help them manage an evolving macro environment and balance their transformation goals with cost optimization. Our ability to deliver on client objectives regardless of where they are in their cloud journeys is positioning us favourably in a consolidating market.
As we move ahead, we expect to continue to benefit from these trends and help clients build future-proof, resilient enterprises.”
Jatin Dalal, Chief Financial Officer, said, “Our Operating margins are now at 16.3%, which is an expansion of 120 basis points from last quarter. This expansion of margins was after absorbing the investments we made in our people by way of salary increases, promotions and long-term incentives for our senior leadership. Margin growth was led by strong operational improvements and automation-led efficiencies. We generated strong operating cash flows at 143% of our net income for the quarter and our EPS increased by 14.6% quarter-over-quarter.”
Outlook for the Year ending March 31, 2023
We expect Revenue from our IT Services business for the full year to be in the range of 11.5% to 12.0%, in constant currency terms.
* Outlook for the year ending March 31, 2023, is based on the following exchange rates: GBP/USD at 1.36, Euro/USD at 1.16, AUD/USD at 0.73, USD/INR at 74.78 and CAD/USD at 0.79
- For the convenience of the readers, the amounts in Indian Rupees in this release have been translated into United States Dollars at the certified foreign exchange rate of US$1 = ₹82.72, as published by the Federal Reserve Board of Governors on December 31, 2022. However, the realized exchange rate in our IT Services business segment for the quarter ended December 31, 2022 was US$1= ₹82.24
- Constant currency revenue for a period is the product of volumes in that period times the average actual exchange rate of the corresponding comparative period
- IT Services Operating Margin refers to Segment Results Total as reflected in IFRS financials
- Total Bookings refers to the total contract value of all orders that were booked during the period including new orders, renewals, and changes to existing contracts. Bookings do not reflect subsequent terminations or reductions related to bookings originally recorded in prior fiscal periods. Bookings are recorded using then-existing foreign currency exchange rates and are not subsequently adjusted for foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations. The revenues from these contracts accrue over the tenure of the contract.
- Large deal bookings constitute of deals greater than or equal to $30 million in total contract value terms
- Voluntary attrition is at IT Services excluding DOP measured in trailing twelve months for the quarter
IT Services – Large deals
Wipro continued its momentum in winning large deals with our customers as described below:
- A global leader in consumer brands selected Wipro to create a three-year consumer digital & technology transformation roadmap. Wipro is deploying data analytics and AI to help put the consumer at the core of the company’s omni-channel direct-to-consumer operating model. The solution will help strengthen the company’s brand building, innovation and sales capabilities and achieve its ambition of driving growth and loyalty among customers.
- Wipro has won a large strategic, multi-year engagement with a leading North American financial institution to modernize and transform their applications portfolio globally. The engagement will focus on digital transformation and automation for enhanced customer experience and business value creation.
- Wipro has been engaged by a US-based multinational technology conglomerate to build core product platform and design, test and modernize unique silicon chips for its next-generation connected products. The project will tap into Wipro’s deep domain expertise in helping enterprises deploy high-performance, new-age chip solutions in sync with changing consumer and enterprise needs. This win places Wipro Engineering Edge at the forefront of silicon innovation with low latency, low power, and ultra-reliable applications which will deliver unparalleled experiences for the end consumers.
IT Services – Digital services deals
We continue to see increasing traction in digital-oriented and other strategic deals as illustrated below:
- A joint Capco and Wipro team is supporting a large UK retail bank with its vision to become the pre-eminent UK digital insurer. Our mission is to drive the end-to-end transformation of the UK General Insurance business, leveraging our deep domain and technological expertise to completely rebuild the customer and employee experience, harnessing the power of data and automation.
- One of the largest Australia-based energy transmission and distribution services businesses has selected Wipro as its strategic partner to integrate and transform its digital operating model. Wipro will leverage innovation, simplification, and automation to deliver business impact and value through technology investments. In this outcome-based partnership, Wipro will help the customer enhance user experience and improve operational efficiency.
- Wipro has expanded its relationship with a leading Middle East-based airport management company with an end-to-end strategic partnership deal, which marks our largest deal in the airport domain in the Middle East. Wipro will run the airport’s end-to-end IT operations, upgrade technology infrastructure and expand digital services, leveraging futuristic technologies.
- Wipro is helping a large consumer goods company to move to agile ways of working with a scalable contract that provides flexibility to the business. This is in addition to maintaining best-in-class availability and performance for global platforms across 200 countries. The scope also includes modernizing the platforms.
- Wipro was recognized as a Leader in the 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Managed Network Services
- Wipro was named as a Leader and a Star Performer in Everest Group’s System Integration Capabilities on GCP PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2022
- Wipro was positioned as a Leader in IDC MarketScape: EMEA Industrial IoT Service Providers for Oil and Gas Companies 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc # EUR147586921 October 2022)
- Wipro was recognized as a Leader in Avasant Manufacturing Digital Services and Utilities Digital Services RadarView™ 2022 – 2023
- Wipro was rated as a Leader and a Star Performer in Everest Group’s Risk & Compliance in BFS IT Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2023
- Wipro was featured in HFS Horizons: Automation Service Providers, 2022 and Healthcare Payer Service Providers, 2022
- Wipro was named as a Leader in ISG Provider Lens™ Future of Work – Services and Solutions 2022 – US and Switzerland (multiple quadrants)
- Wipro was rated as a Leader in Avasant Oracle Cloud ERP Services and Digital CX Services RadarView™ 2022 – 2023
- Wipro was rated as a Leader in Everest Group’s Workplace Communication and Collaboration (WCC) Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2022
- Wipro was rated as a Leader in Avasant Property and Casualty Insurance Digital Services and Claims Processing Business Process Transformation RadarView™ 2022 – 2023
- IT Products segment revenue for the quarter was ₹1.7 billion ($20.8 million1)
- IT Products segment results for the quarter was a profit of ₹0.04 billion ($0.50 million1)
India business from State Run Enterprises (ISRE)
- India SRE segment revenue for the quarter was ₹1.4 billion ($17.0 million1)
- India SRE segment results for the quarter was a profit of ₹0.10 billion ($1.23 million1)