element14 has announced the availability of Toshiba’s third generation of 650V and 1200V silicon carbide (SiC) MOSFETs. Designers can realize enhanced efficiency, reduce size for industrial applications and provide up to 80% improvement in both static and dynamic losses. These highly versatile products are suitable for use in a wide variety of demanding applications including switch mode power supplies (SMPS) and uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs) for servers, data centres and communication equipment. Other uses include renewable energy, such as photovoltaic (PV) inverters and bi-directional DC-DC converters used for Electric Vehicle (EV) charging.
The new 650V TW015N65C, TW027N65C, TW048N65C, TW083N65C and TW107N65C SiC MOSFETs feature the following benefits:
- The cell structures are based on those used in Toshiba’s second-generation devices, which optimises the advanced third generation SiC process.
- Significantly reduced power loss enables development of solutions with higher power densities and lower running costs. A key figure of merit (FoM) calculated as the product of drain-source on-resistance (RDS(on)) and gate-drain charge (Qg) to represent both static and dynamic losses has improved by approximately 80%.
- The new devices contain the innovative embedded Schottky barrier diode (SBD) proven in the previous generation, which enhances the reliability of SiC MOSFETs by overcoming internal parasitic effects to maintain a stable device RDS(on).
The new third generation 1200V SiC MOSFETs comprise the TW015N120C, TW030N120C, TW045N120C, TW060N120C, and TW140N120C are housed in an industry standard TO-247 package and feature:
- The ability to handle currents (ID) up to 100A and feature RDS(on) values as low as 15mΩ.
- A generous maximum gate-source voltage range, from -10V to 25V, which enhances the flexibility to operate in various circuit designs and application conditions.
- The gate-threshold voltage (VGS(th)) range from 3.0V to 5.0V, ensures predictable switching performance with minimal drift and permits a simple gate-driver design.
- The devices have RDS(on) values from 15mΩ to 140mΩ (typical, at VGS = 18V) and drain-current ratings from 20A to 100A (DC at TC=25°C).
Adrian Cotterill, Product Segment Leader, Transistors & WBG, at element14, “We are committed to providing our customers with the very latest semiconductor products and these third generation SiC MOSFETS now available from stock provide a significant leap forward in technology from one of the world leaders and biggest investors in discrete power technology.”